Leaving On A Jet Plane



Checking in with the family in yesterday and chatting about arrival times in Toronto, I realized I have only three more full days left in Guyana; O no! The past three months have passed more quickly than I could have imagined. I don't know when I'll be back again, but I do know it will be sooner rather than later, and my trip will be on  Caribbean Airlines' jet plane that is more specifically a Boeing 737-800.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm overwhelmed by all that I have learned and continue to learn and that there is still SO MUCH that I need to know. Reviewing some notes the other day I realized what is now old hat to me wasn't three short months ago and I'm excited to add to that bank of knowledge in a more practical way when I return to sort out the two acres that I'll be planting rice on.  I'll actually be getting in there and applying the theory, but hopefully not like this!



There are some things I didn't get done this trip that I had anticipated - like climbing Kaieteur, or visiting Lethem but that is definitely outweighed by all the amazingly kind people who were generous with fruits, knowledge, time, jokes, conversation...  Guyanese hospitality, even in a work setting, is remarkable. One such example comes from the first time I headed up the the Rice Research Station at Burma (about an hour east of Georgetown) where the General Manager had organized a special vegetarian meal of local dishes (dhal, bhaigan choka, coconut choka, bhagee, aloo and, of course, rice).   Though I'm not quite done with my write up for the GRDB, instead of spending these next days hunched over my laptop, I anticipate bleeding ears from all the phone calls I'll be making to all of those (that I have a number for!) who took the time to share with me :)

Stay Good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment